God's Acre

God's Acre

Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Perfectly Gratuitous

With hopes of lightening your load and starting your day off well - here's something that's perfectly gratuitous ...

I listen to music when I write. It inspires me, and I associate words and melodies with people, moments, and places.

A few favorites ...

Crossroads, will you ever let him go?
Will you hide the dead man’s ghost
Or will he lie, beneath the clay,
Or will his spirit roll away?
- The Allman Brothers, "Melissa"
www.peomhunter.com

I've heard newborn babies wailin' like a mournin' dove
And old men with broken teeth stranded without love.
Do I understand your question, man, is it hopeless and forlorn?
"Come in," she said,"I'll give you shelter from the storm."
- Bob Dylan, "Shelter from the Storm"
www.bobdylan.com

If I said I love you would it be too soon?
Cause timing is everything in this old familiar tune
I would spend my life underneath a wandering moon
If every time i said goodbye
I could come back home to you
- Christopher Williams, "Every Time I Say Goodbye"
www.christopherw.com

There's a light at each end of this tunnel you shout
Cause you're just as far in as you'll ever be out
And these mistakes you've made
You'll just make them again if you'll only try turnin' around
- Anna Nalick, "Breathe (2 AM)"
www.lyricsmode.com

What words/melodies have inspired you lately?

© 2008 J. Dana Trent

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I do the exact same thing with music. I think of different people and places when I hear certain songs. My favorite songs are the ones that make you think of somebody or something so in depth that you forget the song is even playing. Good to see the Allman Brothers on there.

Looking forward to the next one.

RR

Anonymous said...

I agree about the music, but to tell you the truth I never thought of it as being gratuitous.Probably because I was at an early age aroundd juke boxes that needed money to play a song. I personally had a radio of my own until abour 14 or 15 in my bedroom. I listened to The Lone Ranger in the bottom bunk bed. Music is free. Good thought. Looks like someone commented that they also play music while writing. My memories of music playing are of dances in high school, or at Pettigrew swimming pool, or playing records at home while daydreaming about boys, or listening to the afternoon request a song show that Nat Walker was disc jockey for in hi school. Or putting music on to clean the apt., or easy listening to drive or study. You have raised my awareness and given gratuitous a new meaning for me.